- Judge the Landlord If a landlord seems sketchy at all, then stay away! You will be dealing with them throughout the year, so you want to make sure that it would be an easy relationship. Some landlords will try to scam you out of your security deposit or they might not fix broken items in your apartment. I know people who had black mold in their shower, and it took months for their landlord to fix the damage. Be careful about who you want to deal with.
- Deal-Breakers There are some things in your apartment that you are going to want. I personally like hardwood floors in living space. Of course, this is a personal preference, but it could help you narrow down your choices. Things like granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and state of the art cabinets may be benefits, but not necessary. Decide what is important to you.
- Pets Decide if you want pets. If you want or have them then this will be necessary for an apartment. If you don't want them, an apartment that allows them might not be the right choice. Think about things like your neighbors. You could have a neighbor with dogs that bark and could be annoying. When searching for an apartment, decide if this is important for you.
- Stuff How much stuff do you have? Do you have a lot of kitchen appliances? Is your closet flowing over? Do you need extra storage? These are all important things to consider when you are searching for an apartment.
- Price This most important thing is the price of the apartment. Make a budget for yourself and decide what your ideal price is and what your max price is. If you have trouble finding an apartment within your price range, then consider having a roommate.
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Apartment Livng: The Search
Searching for apartments is one of the most difficult things to do for recent grads. Last year, when I was searching for my first apartment on my own, I picked the first place that seemed like it would work in my price range. It's a nice apartment, but I could have found a better deal that was closer to my job. Now that I am searching for an apartment again, I have some hints for other seekers.
Posted by Unknown at 12:00 AM